Unprotected sex, delayed periods. On birth control, not taking it regularly, small blood spot. Pregnant?

Im on birth control but i had not been taking it regularly. I had unprotected sex about three weeks ago and I should have started my period on two days ago so I put a tampon in and when I took it out there was just a tiny smear or blood but I haven t actually started my period. I m starting to worry that I might be pregnant. Im not sure what to do. So i guess my question is what was the small blood spot?
Asked On : Fri, 17 Aug 2012