Unhealed wound on right ankle, extreme pain and burning sensation. Diagnosed with cellulitis, on medication. History of diabetes, sugar level in control. Suggestions?

I am here for my dad..he suffered from an accident in nov last year and had a wound which has dried out..later after a month he had another wound which is not drying out at dad is diabetic since 5-6 yrs with high sugar levels but it has been under control for a long time now..he has no family history of diabetes he developed it because of his weight the cause of concern is a tiny wound on his right leg's ankle he complains of extreme pain and severe burning sensation he is also diagnosed with cellulitis and has been taking antiboitics and other medication that the doctor had prescribed he is done with his course and yet there is no improvement in the condition of the wound please suggest something as the doctors we are consulting are not giving proper diagnosis..i am very much worried to see him in pain please help..thx
Asked On : Sun, 31 Mar 2013
I understand your problem and will try to guide you at my best.
Non healing ulcers can be of three types.
1...venous stasis ulcers which are common in patients having history of leg swelling or varicose veins or in people with history of blood clots in superficial or deep veins of leg.
2...neurotrophic ( diabetic ) ulcers.Neuropathy and peripheral artery disease often occur together in diabetes.Nerve damage ( neuropathy ) results in loss of foot sensations resulting in increased chances of trauma and infection.Neuropathy symptoms include tingling,numbness ,burning and pain.
3..Arterial ( ischemic ) ulcers due to poor circulation in legs due to diabetes or hypercholesteremia,smoking etc.
The management of such condition requires a multidisciplinary approach in a very good hospital.
Patient requires a thorough investigations in the form of blood tests,x - rays,MRI and CT scans and non invasive vascular studies to formulate a treatment plan.

Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

In Diabetics, pain may be disproportionate to the wound / it may even be spontaneous without an obvious external lesion! - because of Diabetic Neuropathy... -

In Diabetics, there may be reduced blood flow because of Vasculopathy - in the leg, causing ulcer. He will need more investigations like Doppler and so on...
Similar problem may occur elsewhere also - in the heart causing heart attack / in the brain and so on..

If there is no improvement, it is wiser to admit him to the hospital... Multi-disciplinary approach will be needed. There are special diabetic foot care specialists and that amputation has been remarkably reduced nowadays.....

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck