Uneven, large, red bony feeling lumps on head, ear. having back pain. What could be the cause?

My 18 year old son discovered today two uneven large(golf ball sized-ish) bony feeling lumps on his head. One is on the very top of his head and the other is behind his left ear. I looked at them and the one on the top of his head is colorless other than a dime sized red spot and the one behind his ear is a little red. He did tell me that he tried to squeeze them so I don t know if they were red to start with. Yesterday he had severe back pain where he could barely even move, but today that s a little better. Could they be related?
Asked On : Sat, 23 Jun 2012

It seems that most probably your son may be having sebaceous cysts.

Also called epithelioid cysts.

The are benign cysts and harmless.

Do not try to squeez. Otherwise they may be infected.

Consult dermatologist. He may excise the cyst under local anaesthesia.

It is minor surgery,done in OPD.

I hope you got my answer.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD