Underwent a double hernia surgery. Swelling, sore. Is this normal?

hi, I am a healthily 54 year old man who underwent a double hernia surgery operation last Wednesday . I am able to get up walk around etc but there is still quite significant swelling around the incisions, particularly the longer one . The wounds are healing well. The area feels rubbery and sore as well as swollen . Is this normal or have I been doing too much ? Should I be spending more time during the day lying flat? Thank you for your time.
Asked On : Mon, 4 Mar 2013