Undergone treatment for getting dentures for both upper and lower teeth. How long will it take to get fixed?

I am mother is 83 years old. She has undergone treatment for getting whole new set of dentures for both upper and lower teeth. After the treatment her upper one fits fine, but the lower one comes out every now and then especially while eating. Her dentist says that she needs to wait 1 year before he can try to fix it, since for the next year her jaw and gums would change in size. To me 1 year seems to long, is there something that he would/should do to make the dentures fit now. Thank you
Asked On : Sat, 13 Apr 2013