Undergone emergency brain surgeries, is sleeping and looks peaceful. What could be the normalcy and coma signs?

Hello, my brother just had 2 emergency brain surgeries 24 hours apart. After the Firestone he regained consciouness and alertness within hours, however he sprung another leak in a different part of his brain. He has been out of surgery for 21 hours and has had no change, just sleeping and looks peaceful. He was traveling and there is quite a language barrier. Doctors said it was normal, but could not understand more. When should we expect him to regain consciouness and when should we worry that he went into a coma?
Asked On : Thu, 4 Oct 2012