Undergone back surgery, advised avoiding bending, lifting, twisting. What are the risks involved on not following it?

My husband had back surgery two weeks ago, with a fusion of his L1-L2-L3. All the information we got from his surgeon was no bending, lifting, or twisting. What are the potential results if he does not listen to that advice? Such as carrying our ~20 pound 6 month old son up the stairs? He just did this and is justifying it to me by saying he didn t lift him, he was already holding him while sitting down. But I would think that lifting and carrying should fall in the same category. How badly could this have just damaged everything the surgeon did?
Asked On : Fri, 3 Aug 2012

I have studied your case.

In fusion surgery result of surgery are good if good union of vertebra occurs post fusion.
Proper rest will give early fusion.
So advise him to rest now.Use lumbar corset for support.
It may take 3 months time for complete rehabilitation after surgery.

You can consult physiotherapist for help.

I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.