Undergoing treatment for bilateral sacroiliitis, have pain in the hip area, swelling in legs. Can I take up physical activities?

Hello, I am 22 yrs old guy and under medication for Bilateral Sacroilities from past 6 months, I have pain in the right side Hip area and also their is swelling in the right knees, toes and ankle. Can you please guide me, whether i can get involved in any physical activities such as Gym, Swimming and cycling. Can these activites be useful or it will worsen the pain
Asked On : Thu, 26 Jul 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
I think swimming is good but i do not want to suggest you other exercises as they can be harmful. What is your HLA and ESR . If there is any abnormality then It is better that you do yoga and not all these exercises, Because these exercises will increase muscle trauma and fatigue.