Undergoing menopause, have frequent urination, dark urine with blood, urine test showed infection, subsided with plenty of water, cranberry juice, antibiotics. Cause of infection?

I have recently begin to urinate a lot. I am 55, in menopause . I had a full hyster. 2 years ago. I had never had any kind of infections before. woke up one morning and was urinating blood , urine was dark brown for 1 day. I drank a lot of water and cranberry juice and it stopped. Went to doctor on Monday and they took a specimen and said i had an infection and perscribed antibotic for 3 days. Seems to have done the trick. I am not sexually active now. what caused the infection.
Asked On : Thu, 28 Jun 2012