Uncontrollable leg spasms, painful. Potentially serious?

I am an 18 year old girl. For a few years I have had uncontrollable....spasms in my right leg. All of the muscles tense up. It hurts, and it s scary. I go through periods of time where I don t have any spasms for months, but then out of no where for no reason the spasms come back and I get them constantly for days on end. Is this something potentially serious that I should get checked out?
Asked On : Wed, 8 Aug 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
eighteen year old with spasms , i feel you are talking about muscle cramps . then muscle cramps come in a group of muscles not to both lower limbs together .
get a neurologist to see you if both legs get spasms together .
commonest cause for young guys with cramps is deficiency of vit b12 and d3 . adequate exposure to sunlight and aerobic metabolism will go a long way in avoiding cramps .