Unable to straighten right foot, pain in knees, swelling, unable to put weight. Treatment?

my name is XXXXX,im 49yrs old in november,i have 4 grown up children,most of my life iv bin running even marathons,now sometime I can hardly straighten my right feet due to excruciating pain in my knee ,it often gets swollen and it sometime felt like my feet is bein pull away from my kn3,i sometime cannot even put my weight on my right feet,cn u please tell me why thanksthat
Asked On : Thu, 9 Aug 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014

Pain in foot and knees is likely to be due to muscle spasm in the area.This might be the cause of stiffness in this region.

You need to do muscle strengthening and stretching exercises around ankle and lower leg to strengthen the muscle and to relive the spasm.

Doing hot fomentation and applying muscle relaxant gel will be helpful.You can take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin as and when required to reduce pain.

If the pain and spasm is persistant even after these measures, then I suggest you to get it evaluated by an orthopaedician for examination. He may advise you for the xray to see any bony changes.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.