Ultrasound shows low lying placenta during 31 weeks of pregnancy. Csection inevitable?

I m a 41-year-old expectant mother, currently at 33 weeks. My 31-week ultrasound showed a low-lying placenta 1.1 cm from the os. The doctor isn t confident that it will move significantly (past the recommended 2 cm from os) when I next have a scan at 36 weeks. He said to prepare mentally for a c-section. He didn t mention anything about taking it easy (limited lifting, exercise, etc.) or bed rest. I have two questions: 1) are c-sections normal for those that have low lying placentas less than 2 cm from the os, and 2) do I need to take it easy (limit exercise, lifting, etc.)? I weigh 142 pounds and was 114 pounds pre-pregnancy. This is my first child (I ve had previous miscarriages). Thank you for your time. It s much appreciated!
Asked On : Fri, 23 Nov 2012