Ultrasound showed deformed yolk sac without heartbeat, prescribed progesterone. Does taking progesterone prevent a natural miscarriage?

at 7 weeks 3 days I had ultrasound showing deformed yolk sac and no heartbeat . Doctor said sac seem to be empty and was only measuring 5 weeks 5 days. Was prescribed progesterone and will return for second ultrasound later this week. My question is: Does taking progesterone (400mg) per day prevent a natural miscarriage from happening? Could I have naturally started to miscarry if not taking the progesterone?
Asked On : Sun, 30 Sep 2012