Ultrasound showed PCOD. What are its causes, consequences and is it completely curable?

i am 18 years old.i got a sonogram done on my mother s insistence. it states that my uterus is normal in size,shape and position and is anteverted. endometrium is okay and no wall abnormality. and my cervix and vagina are normal. but my ovaries show echogenic stroma and multiple, tiny peripherally arranged follicles suggestive of polycystic ovaries. and it says i have PCOD . i know its not life threatening but i have a couple of other questions. (1) what causes PCOD? (2) is it completely curable or just can be controlled like diabetes? (3) what are the consequences apart from irregular menses and infertility .
Asked On : Fri, 20 Apr 2012