Ulcers on feet, calves, pain all over body. Is there anything effective to treat his symptoms?

Hi, my boyfriend has a diagnosis of thalassaemia minor, although has not seen a medical professional with regards to it in a few years. He s developing ulcers on his feet (mainly between his toes) and on his calves. He s in pain a lot of the time (currently using tramadol for it, which is the only thing that has an effect) and the pain is all over his body. He has agreed to see a GP initially but I d like to give him some reassurance as to treatment. Is there anything effective to treat his symptoms with at the moment?
Asked On : Sun, 28 Apr 2013