UPJ obstruction with cortical thinning, hydronephrosis, pyeloplasty

What is cortical thinning? What does it mean when there is a UPJ obstruction with some cortical thinning? My son (9 months old) has a UPJ obstruction with hydronephrosis , he has cortical thinning according to his last ultrasound and I was wondering what that means. We are faced with waiting 3 months to see if things get better or going into surgery for a pyeloplasty right now so I m trying to weigh our options and make the best decision for him.
Asked On : Thu, 5 Apr 2012