Type 2 diabetes, uncomfortable sensation in abdomen on taking prescribed medicine. Metformin prescribed, glibenclamide. Advise?

I was diagonosed with type 2 Diabetes (reading 9.8) and was put on medication. The doctor prescribed Metformin 500 mg, one tablet to be taken in the morning and one at night (both to be taken after food intake). She also prescribed Glibenclamide 5 mg, 1/2 a tablet to be taken in the morning before food. Upon taking these medications, I felt very uncomfortable espiacially in my stomach. I feel very much better without taking the medications. Kindly advise should I continue to take these medications and put up with this great discomfort so much so that I feel life is not worth living or resort to other means, namely exercise or diet changes to control my diabetes?
Asked On : Mon, 1 Apr 2013