Twisted ankle, cracked when walking, soreness, painful. Worried if it is broken

I twisted my ankle as a sat on it today and heard it crack loudly, straight after I heard it crack a few more times as I started walking again. It is very sore to walk on or move some certain ways but does not look very swollen. It was also painful just resting it but has settled a little. I am worried if it is broken or if something is damaged, I have also recently started highschool this year. Please help!
Asked On : Sun, 1 Jul 2012
I would reccomed that you have an X-ray of your ankle to ensure that it is not broken. Cracks and snaps can often be heard when you sprain your ankle so this does not necessarily mean it is broken. For an ankle sprain a patient should take regular anti-inflammatory medication, rest the ankle, elevate and ice the ankle. Physiotherapy can be of benefit.