Tumors on thyroid even after taking treatment. Suggested to remove thyroid. Opinion?

Hello Dr. Grief, After 9 months of ultrasounds, 2 FNAs and 2 months on Levothyroxine , it turns out I have two large nodules/tumors on my thyroid which are benign yet my endocrinologist also states that my results also say suspicious after both FNAs on my thyroid. The tumors are 3 CM and the other is 2 CM. I have zero trouble swallowing but the doc still suggest I remove the entire thyroid. I m hesistant so I m wondering if this is a typical suggestion?
Asked On : Tue, 26 Feb 2013