Trying to conceive, had mild cramping, spotting and heavier bleeding with several clots. Is it a miscarriage ?

Hi, I am a 24 year old female. This month my husband and I were trying to conceive. Yesterday, which would have been about the time of my period I experienced light pink spotting throughout the day. Then in the afternoon it got heavier, however the cramping was very mild ( I typically get them so bad I cry, especially the first few days.) Well I woke up to bright red blood mixed with dark stringy blood and an hour later I noticed several small clots followed by a big one the size of a half dollar and have been bleeding bright res with dark small clots since. My period does not usually come at a measurable time but it is always darker red and starts normal and ends light. I did take a hpt and it read negative. My question is, did I have a miscarriage and could I be pregnant?
Asked On : Sun, 20 Jan 2013