Trying to conceive. When is the fertility period of a woman?

My husband and I have been trying to have a child for several months. The books I ve read have differing advice on when the woman is the most fertile. Some say 14 days after the first day of your period , some say 14 days before you think you are going to start your next period, and so on. I am just clueless on when my most fertile time would be. Could you shed some light on this? Read More WWW.WWWW.WW Sign up for iVillage Special Offers
Asked On : Mon, 16 Apr 2012

Hi there. Thank you for posting your question with Healthcaremagic. I will do my best to help you.

There are two schools of thought about this. Some think "fertile period" is very important while others feel it is no such thing. It can leade to unnecessary anxiety in matters of intercourse even to erectile dysfunction in extreme cases.

You are probably just as well off having intercourse when the mood moves you rather than when the calendar dictates. Good luck!

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.