Trying to conceive. Brown, pink discharge. Pregnancy test- negative. What is the reason?

Hi, I am having brown and pink discharge since 3-4 days before my periods. I have been trying to conceive. The brown discharge is present even on the day of periods. I took a pregnancy test on the day of expected period which turned out to be negative. Could you please advise the reason for brown and pink discharge.. I do have spotting before my periods but thats red color. Its the first time i am having such a discharge. I have no other pains. Is this something serious... am ii pregnant?
Asked On : Thu, 11 Apr 2013