Trouble in sleeping, hears loud sounds, starts fading in and out,stops after opening eye, gets louder when ignored

Lately I have been having trouble sleeping because when I lay down (even during the day) as I start to fade away.. I always hear this LOUD screetching sound that fades in and out. If I open my eyes it stops..if I lay there and try to ignore it then it just gets louder and actually hurts my ears. I now force myself to drink a couple beers before bed s the only way I have decent sleep anymore. What is going on with me?
Asked On : Tue, 10 Apr 2012