Trouble falling asleep. Worried about side effects of ambian sleeping pills

I ve heard recently heard about ambian sleeping pills , and that they may cause health problems. I have ad serious sleeping problems for 30 years ( not being able to fall asleep), I ve always followed all the rules for developing good sleep habits, but to no avail, I m often awake for 2 days (really),and need a sleeping pill (ambian) to fall asleep. Once I fall asleep I have no problem getting back to sleep after getting up for the bathroom or to let dogs out. Nothing was determined at the sleep institute I went to. Please help if you can. I want to sleep without taking pills.
Asked On : Sat, 16 Feb 2013