Triple bypass surgery, swelling in foot and knee

M husand had tripple bypass surgery 2 weeks ago today and is having swelling in his left foot and from the knee down on the left side. He wants to know if this is normal and if he should call his surgeon or just keep his legs elevated? He was given lasic for the first three days comming home and was told to stop after the third day. Please let me know if this is normal. thanks karen mccormick
Asked On : Sat, 5 May 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
I do not think it is serious. is it same side from which vessel graft was taken. Other cause can be A DVT. So keep his limb elevated over a can apply a compression bandage. Also take a opinion from your surgeon on next visit. I also want to encourage him to do ankle up and down movement. It will push all collected fluid towards body.