Treatment for white stool

hi my name is AAAAAAA im lookin for information for my mom i have two nephew there are 3years and the other one is 1years old and she been tellin me that they have been doing white stool like a few time what does that mean what can she do
Asked On : Sun, 25 Mar 2012
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM!
White stool is not normal . Stools that are pale may be the result of a lack of bile or by a blockage in the bile ducts. The inability of the digestive system to absorb fats properly may also result in stools that are light in color and appear greasy. White stools are caused by a lack of bile, which may indicate a serious underlying problem.
Stool gets its normal brownish color from bile, which is excreted from the liver into the small intestine . If the liver doesn't produce bile or if bile is obstructed from leaving the liver, stool will be light colored or white.
Liver diseases, such as hepatitis , can cause white stool. In some cases, the problem lies not in the liver but in the tube that delivers the bile to the intestines. This tube can be blocked by a tumor or a gallstone which prevents the bile from entering the intestines. Some babies are born with constricted bile duct
In order to treat pale stools, the underlying cause must first be diagnosed. In addition to a complete medical history, some of the tests like Ultrasonography,LFT might be used to make a diagnosis Treatment will depend on the underlying cause. If the cause is the malabsorption of fats, a change in diet and vitamin supplements may be prescribed. In the case of blocked bile ducts, surgery may be required to open the ducts. If the acholic stools are a symptom of another condition, such as hepatitis, the underlying cause should be treated.
They must be examined by a pediatrician and tested to find the cause and subsequently treated.
hope this helps!