Treating for staph. Have a sore armpit with a knot. What can this mean?

I had a red knot under my armpit that was very sore and the dr. has been treating me for staph. he put me on 500mg of keflex and 500mg of septra bid. i can t take the keflex so they changed me to 100mg of doxycycline hcl bid for 7 days. the knot is almost completely gone and never came to a head or showed any signs of puss like drainage. it stayed very hard. Was it staph? I believe I have had an allergic reaction to the septra because now i m broken out in a rash down my legs and some on my stomach and back. I m frustrated at this point and unsure whether i was misdiagnosed and over medicated and am now suffering from a rash and irritation??
Asked On : Sun, 26 Aug 2012