Treated for impetigo around rectum, now red and swollen with slight scaling, on oral antibiotics. Should it be changed ?

My son is 10 years old. Was treated 3 mos ago for impetigo presenting around rectum . Red swollen skin, no itching, no pain, no blisters, slight scaling. Used prescrip topical antibiotic and oral ( amoxicillin ) for 10 days. Cleared up. Recurred six weeks ago. Was put on topical antibiotic for 60 days and oral for 30 days. Within 2-3 weeks symptoms greatly improved until we took a trip and stayed in a hotel with a pool. Even tho my son showered and thoroughly dried himself after swimming (went in pool 3 times in 3 days) the symptoms got noticeably worse. By end of 30 days the symptoms improved slightly but still definitely there. Dr put him on another 10 days. Condition got noticeably worse in the last 3 days. Should oral antibiotic be changed? Should different topical (such as Altabax) be prescribed? Could this condition be something other than impetigo?
Asked On : Sat, 9 Mar 2013