Treated for depression. Still have unstable moods, impulsive behaviour. See the psychiatrist?

I have been treated for depression/ anxiety for about 4 years now. I just changed medication and increased the dosage now I m on effexor 150 mg. But my question is how do you know if it depression or full blown bipolar disorder? My mood is still unstable and for the last year I have done more and more impulsive behaviors and every few months I spend way too much money and don t care. I know these are symptoms and just wondering how to know. My medications are being monitored by an internal medicine doctor, do I need a referral for a psychiatrist or can I just discuss it with my internal medicine doctor?
Asked On : Sun, 27 Jan 2013