Trauma to foot, pain originating from sesamoid area. MRI showed nerve irregularities. Advised removing the damaged nerve. Opinion?

I amlooking for a second opinion as I have suffered trauma to my foot and suffer from pain that comes from my sesamoid area, have had MRI and xrays first xray result was a possible fracture to the sesamoid 3 years ago and had constant pain since. Most recent MRI showed irregularities with the nerve in that area, also under ultra sound confirmed this. My Dr then put a nerve block into this nerve and no pain in the Big Toe for 24 Hrs confirming that there is nerve damage. Next step is to remove the nerve that is damaged which will give me a numb part of my foot where the nerve was. He also said there is a chance the nerve will grow back. Does this sound like the correct way to go considering the high pain level and quality of life being restricted.
Asked On : Fri, 11 Jan 2013