Torn MCL, damaged cartilage and meniscus. Knee brace suggested. Any treatment other than this?

I completely tore my mcl, Lcl and acl 7 weeks ago Also damaged my meniscus and another cartilage 60 years old. No pivot sports so doc feels no surgery needed Physical therapist says my muscle strength improving well after 3 weeks of therapy. Then, met with doc on Monday and he said I will need to wear a knee brace all the time for rest of life. I was shocked and depressed. When I then said I did not want to wear a brace forever and would be open to surgery, doc seemed very reluctant to discuss surgerybas an option. I would appreciate any thoughts you can share.
Asked On : Sun, 21 Apr 2013