Took prednisone for asthmatic bronchitis. Spasms in sternum due to cough. Can I use a muscle relaxer?

I have just finished with a 12 day treatment of Prednisone for a bout of asthmatic bronchitis. I have coughed so hard that I believe my sternum is in spasms causing me to continue coughing when it is not related to the asthma. I feel a muscle relaxer may help to stop the need to cough. The area hurts and feels tight. It is not heart related I am most sure. Would a muscle relaxer help as I had one years ago when my hiccup muscles decided to do the same thing. Once the muscle relaxant had stopped the spasms I quite quickly felt much better.
Asked On : Thu, 28 Mar 2013