Took iron tablets for low serum ferritin. Unable to raise levels, feeling tired, breathless. Cure?

I have suffered with low serum ferritin for about 6 years now. I was first diagnosed when the level was just 7 and I felt very unwell. Over the years I have continued to take iron tablets x2 a day. i cannot get my level higher than 45 and feel tired and breathless all the time. My GP has no idea why I cannot raise the iron level and has never sent me for further tests. I do not have periods due to the Pill I am on, so no blood loss there.
Asked On : Thu, 22 Nov 2012