Tonsils removed, gromit in left ear. Ear pain where gromit is put, took paracetamol, ibuprofen. Advice ?

My son just had tonsils out and a gromit in left ear on Wednesday, first and second night great but since Friday getting really bad ear pain in his left ear where the gromit was put. We are keeping on top of the paracetamol and ibuprofen but was up every couple of hours last night with the pain. I took him to my local a and e at hospital who checked the ear and said no infection or discharge . Any ideas or advise please
Asked On : Wed, 1 Aug 2012