Tongue wiggles when not talking. What could cause this?

my spouse s tongue wiggles when he is not talking, but he is just holding his mouth open as he prepares to begin to talk. his tongue wiggles and he states, I don t feel it wiggling. what could cause this? Is it possible that his tongue is wiggling when his mouth is closed, also?
Asked On : Fri, 23 Mar 2012
Dentist 's  Response
hello and welcome to HCM forum,
i would like to inform you that wiggling of tongue is due to a neural cause, one of the nerves that supplies the tongue might have been affected years back,due to which your spouse has become used to it and is therefore not experiencing any problem.
you have not mentioned whether his speech is clear or not, i assume its normal.
if he is not facing any problem with it then its better to ignore it.
but if you feel his problem is bothering, then you should consult an oral & maxillofacial surgeon,
i wish you good health.