Tongue muscle sore after cold-type virus, What can be done, kindly suggest

From 39 yr old Female who is generally in good health, active, healthy weight, etc. other than hypothyroid which has been stable with meds. On New Years Eve day I came down with some kind of virus that seems to have been going around...extreme fatigue, post-nasal drip, internal sinus pressure but never stuffed up. I treated myself to lots of rest and water, traditional medicinal tea with honey, my usual vitamin/mineral supplements, but no medication other than an Aleve once for headache . My energy levels returned in about a week, sinuses cleared too. But then I had throat issues, like my glands were going crazy. I gargled with salt water. I lost my voice. I kept up the gargling, and drinking tea w/ honey. My voice returned but I started to have a tickle that triggered a cough. I still have that but it seems to be less and less. But now, three weeks later, I started to have what feels like a tongue muscle (but may be a gland) causing me to have trouble moving my tongue to swallow or speak. It s only on the left side. It is like a dull ache, almost numb feeling, but it s like the left side of my tongue is lazy or paralyzed. Help! It seems to have worsened as the day progressed. I was in tears at dinner because I was having trouble moving my tongue to eat soup and grilled cheese. I don t have health insurance coverage right now so I m trying to avoid unnecessary office visits. What can be done ?
Asked On : Fri, 21 Jan 2011