Toes removed due to strep infection and ulcer. No diabetes. Is it possible to get infection on the foot?

I recently had two toes taken off due to what a culture said was strep infection. Last November I had one toe on same foot taken off because I had an ulcer that would not heal on my second toe. I am not dibetic. Befor my surgery my primary doctor did a culter and it came back as strep. After surgery the doctor that did surgery did a cultcer and it came back clean. The doctor said that it was good that both cultures were done, because the second shows that they got all the infected parts. How does a person get this in there feet? What are the chances of getting it again and having to have more toes taken off?
Asked On : Sat, 20 Apr 2013