Toe peronychia, infection, itching. Switched from gauze dressing to CVS bandaid. How to reduce swelling?

I had surgery on my toe for a peronychia a week ago. It was doing great until 3 days ago when I switched from a gauze dressing to a CVS brand bandaid. It began itching a little on that day and the itching got worse the next day. I stopped using the bandaid and went back to a gauze bandage thinking perhaps I am allergic to the bandaid materials. But the itching has gotten worse....I mean unbearable especially at night and has spread to the toes on either side of the one that had the surgery. The surgical incision is healing nicely but this itching is making the toe swell again some.
Asked On : Sun, 15 Jul 2012
Thanks for query,
Your itching might be due to new healthy granulation tissue on your wound.
If the wound heals properly having no discharges no redness mild swelling has no importance.
If you find any one symptom mention above along with itching you have to consult your doctor.
Have a nice day.