Toe felt strange after a walk and shower, immense pain. What is the trauma?

I did about 5 miles of walking yesterday which is roughly about what I walk daily for the past 3 years. When I came home last night, I got in the shower and my second toe s toenail felt weird. I assumed it was because my feet weird cold . When I finally checked it my nail was completely blue/purple and was swollen from the first knuckle like part of my toe to the tip. Today when I woke up I couldn t barely pressure on my toe or touch it without having immense pain. Could this be a fracture or a sprain or something else? I don t recall any trauma happening to my feet recently.
Asked On : Thu, 17 Jan 2013