Toddler with sensitive blotchy skin, scratching over her body, makes it red. Cause?

My 18 month old toddler has sudden sensitive blotchy skin. If she rubs her face softly against my pants for example she has a big red blotch on her face and within 5 minutes it disappears. This is happening all over her body. If she scratches her belly she gets a massive welt then 5 minutes it is gone. This has just suddenly occurred and has been going on for about a week now. Confused why her skin is suddenly so super sensitive.
Asked On : Tue, 26 Feb 2013