Toddler suffering from persisting diarrhea. Oily and watery stools. Taking pedialyte. What is causing this?

My toddler has diarrhea still, one week after he initially got sick. He already went to his doctor and she said that he may continue to have it until it passes through his system, but I am wondering how long is too long. He first got sick last Sunday (over a week ago) and threw up twice that day as well. He has had some normal bowel movements in between, but also keeps having oily or watery ones sometimes. He has been drinking Pedialyte all week too, so is there any reason that that would be affecting his stomach? Thank you for any information you can provide.
Asked On : Sat, 17 Nov 2012