Tightness at base of throat, breathing difficulty after eating biscuits. Was it allergic reaction to gluten?

I recently read the book Wheat Belly and decided to go on a gluten-free diet . I am 47 years old and have had issues my whole life with diarrhea or at least very loose stools nearly every day and have sufferred severe stomach cramps and pain. I also have had nausea more days in my life than I haven t. Over the years, I ve had every test you can imagine starting when I was 10 years old. Nothing has ever been found. In fact, my parents were told that I was creating my symptoms for attention since my only other sibling has cerebral palsy . I even had a specialist I was referred to for fatty liver disease tell my the pains in my stomach were psychosomatic. After 3-4 days of no gluten products, I began to feel better. No diarrhea, no nausea, very little stomach pains. Yesterday I ate several biscuits with no other gluten in the entire day. About an hour after I ate the biscuits, I began to feel a tightness at the base of my throat. I thought it was heartburn, but there was never any burning and antacids didn t help. It continued to get worse and I felt that I had to consciously take deep breaths to get enough air. If I sipped on ice cold water the symptoms would subside for a few minutes - maybe 3 minutes then immediately return. I became concerned this was an allergic reaction to the gluten. I have no other allergies other than seasonal and Sulfa medications. I took a 25 mg Benadryl which did nothing. Two hours later, I took some pseudofed, the only other allergy medication I had on hand. I seriously considered going to the ER but the symptoms reached a certain level and stopped progressing so I did not go. It was 6-7 hours before the symptoms finally went away. I have always eaten a lot of bread and flour so I find it hard to believe that these three biscuits could have caused these symptoms, but I didn t have anything else that I haven t ever had before and this is the only thing I have eaten in a week that had any gluten in that I m aware of. Does this sound like a gluten allergy?
Asked On : Sun, 22 Jul 2012