Thumb operation, fixed A1 Pulley. Inability to bend thumb. Should I be worried?

Hi, I had an thumb operation on 18th July, to regain ability to bend my thumb. At first it was thought that the tendon was ruptured, during the operation they fixed the A1 Pulley. It has been 12 days since operation and I cannot bend my thumb. I can feel the tendon when i try to bend, but the thumb does not move. Shall i be concerned?
Asked On : Thu, 2 Aug 2012
Hi , thanks for the question,

Since it has been only 12 days, maybe u r not able to move the thumb due to pain itself and such situation where post op pain has not yet been relieved we cannot assess the tendon.It can be assessed after the pain subsides as it is difficult to say whether u r not bending the thumb due to surgery pain or due to ruptured ( not properly repaired ) tendon.

If the pain has subsided and u r still not able to flex the thumb then i'm afraid, the tendon has not been properly repaired.I also doubt whether A1 pulley repair was indicated in this case.The other possiblity is that the tendon is very tightly held by the repaired pulley which is preventing its smooth movement.

©2014 Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.