Thumb injury, swelling, bruising, pain on bending it. Self healing or medical attention required?

I hurt my thumb while catching a football 4 weeks ago. The first two days it was really swollen and it eventually bruised. It still hurts but not has much as it did. It really hurts to bend it inward and when I reach it over to touch my pinkie. I m just wondering if its something that will heal on its own or if I need to see a doctor.
Asked On : Thu, 14 Feb 2013
From your description,. it seems that there is a tendon injury in your thumb. Such injuries are difficult to heal spontaneously. You need to copnsult an orthopedician for a direct examination and proper treatment.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Dr. Praveen Tayal

General & Family Physician Dr. Shoaib Khan's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM.

Thank you for your query.

Depending on the extent of injury the healing can be predicted. The best thing for you to do as of now is to rest the finger as much as possible.

An examination by a doctor would greatly help in understanding the extent of injury, at the most the you might require painkillers and immobilization of the finger.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.