Thumb injury, severe pain. Iced it immediately, still feels bruised. Medical attention required?

I hurt my thumb while playing football with a friend. He threw me what is known as a bullet or fast spiral throw, and I felt instant pain in my left thumb. He said it was probably a jam, so I iced it immediately for 4 days straight. The pain went away, but not all of it. It has been 4 weeks, and it still feels bruised in certain parts of my thumb, mostly bothers me if I clap with both of my hands, espeically on the thumb side. SHould I got get it checked out/
Asked On : Sun, 20 Jan 2013
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
The symptoms that you have can be due to tendonitis or bursitis. This happens due to inflammation of the tendon sheath.
Do not worry, it will take 3-4 weeks to heal.
Meanwhile taking methylcobalamine supplement will be helpful. You can take motrin 400mg as and when required to control pain and inflammation.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.