Thumb injury, pressure, swelling, bluish discoloration. Diabetic finger prick used to drain blood, no relief. Treatment?

Hi, my thumb was slammed in a car door recently. I feels like their is allot of pressure built up inside my thumb and it is extremely swollen. The nail is not bruised but theback of my thumb is blue and purple, and i cannot bend it because it is so swollen. I tried using a diabetic finger prick to drain the blood and soaked it in warm water with some vinegar. This did not work. What else can i do? Is it necessary to seek medical attention asap??
Asked On : Thu, 14 Jun 2012

Welcome to HealthcareMagic forum.

You need to do nothing.

What you have is subcutaneous collection of blood due to broken capillaries. This collection will gradually resolve in a few weeks. Try to remove this collection manually can result in infection and worsening of this problem.

You need not visit your doctor for now.

Ice the affected part. Take some anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and swelling. And watch over it. It should go away in a few days to weeks.

Hope this answer is both helpful and useful.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Bye for now