Thumb injury, infection, numbness in arm, shoulder. On antibiotics. Causes for stiffness and numbness?

hello i kind of stabbed myself with a piece of metal at the base of my thumb and desinfected it but it got infected its 13 days old and i am taking antibiotics and have been to a physician twice(they only told me to take antibiotics). however i feel numbness and stiffness in my arm all the way to the shoulder and they told me its nothing to worry about. I just want to know what the cause of stiffness and numbness could be.
Asked On : Wed, 5 Sep 2012
Radiologist 's  Response
thumb is a tight compartment
any soft tissue swelling will lead to severe pain stiffness and numbness
it is common in extremity infection
no worries
will be alright with antibiotic anti inflammatory