Throbbing, pulsing sensation in neck, severe pain, headaches. Taking medication for high BP. Causes?

My friend (XXXXXX) often has a throbbing heavy pulse like sensation on the left side of his neck . Sometimes it s with a severe pain. When he has the attack his neck will pulse/throb harder when he speaks or moves. He will sometime get a light headache when this happens. The only health problem that he has that I am aware of his high blood pressure. He takes medication for the hypertension . He also workout ( weight lifting) at least 4 days a week.
Asked On : Thu, 3 Jan 2013