Throbbing pain in the shin after a surgery. Titanium rods placed. Will I get totally cured?

I had a titanium rod inserted into my lower leg in early 2001 (from below the knee to ankle w/ 4 screws). Now i can t run without throbbing leg pain at the point of the fracture (shin). I played my sr year of baseball in 2002 and went ahead and played 2 years of college baseball with no problems. Even played softball up to about 3 years ago, that s when i started getting the pain. Now i can t run 20 yards without it hurting. What can i do?
Asked On : Sat, 30 Mar 2013

Thanks for writing in,

Since its almost 11-12 years since you have undergone surgery for your leg, it would be advisable to take a Xray of your leg (from knee to ankle). Xray will definitely give us a clue of what is happening at the site or to the rod. Treatment depends on the Xray findings if any. If the rod or screws are failing we might need to remove them.

Till that time avoid running, jogging, using stairs, etc., You can use a walker or stick as a support while walking and to carry-out day-to-day activities. If there is a swelling in your leg or foot, use crepe bandage over it. Consult your doctor and discuss with him.

Wish you a good health.