Throbbing pain in leg. Tried ice, heat. Not working. What may have happened?

I m a 41 year old female who has been experiencing a dull throbbing pain in my upper front right leg. I feel it most when I try to climb stairs (almost impossible) or sit down and try to get up. This pain has gotten significant worse in the last month. I don t remember straining any muscles. I have tried rest, stretches, ice, heat, nothing seems to be helping. It has gotten to the point I have to hold my leg and put pressure on the spot when I get up from sitting.
Asked On : Wed, 27 Feb 2013